Taking the Purple/tsw
|Taking the Purple/tsw|
|Start Coords:||No Data|
|Given by:||John Wolf|
|Reward:||172,970 Experience Experience|
|Added in:||No Data|
John Wolf is keeping a close eye on the Atlantic Island Park. He suspects he's not the only one doing so either. Why is the park so interesting to a third party?
- Either you've chosen as bad a time as any for a long weekend upstate... Or you're here to do a day's work in the name of whatever master holds your leash.
- In that case, you've come to the right place.
- But you're not the first to come looking.
- Hate to break it to you, my friend, we've had all sorts skulking about.
- Illuminati, Templars, Dragon. Phoenicians.
- It's like a gold rush.
- They smell power, and they want a piece of it
- "Fishermen by a rocky shore, winds blowing wildly, in a boat unmoored." *
- Storm is coming.
- Boone and I, we've split the good work between us.
- He gets the cushy assignment up by the doorway, holding the hands of rookies.
- He has a waterproof tent and hot food.
- I get dank cellars and animal crackers.
- At least I get to play with more than rotting corpses and pale ghouls.
- There are strange things going on down in that abandoned amusement park.
- It's an evil place.
- Born of an evil man, and the souls trapped inside are screaming to be let out.
- "Heaven and Hell are both in the hearts of men." **
- But water too pure has no fish. *** We need evil for good to exist.
- My advice to you? Keep you shoulders up and your weapon drawn.
- This is not a good place, and whatever hides here got a taste for life.
- For taking it and swallowing it.
- To know the road ahead, they say, ask those coming back.
- But if you come across bodies, there's really no need to ask.
- You'll know which road you're on.
(* Wolf quotes 12th Century Japanese poet and Buddhist monk Saigyō, as translated by Burton Watson - Saigyô, Poems of a Mountain Home Columbia University Press, 1991 ISBN 0-231-07492-1 cloth ISBN 0-231-07493-X pbk p.137)
(** Wolf paraphrases Buddhist proverb 地獄極楽は心にあり (Jigoku Gokuraku wa kokoro ni ari) – "Hell and Heaven are in the hearts of men.")
(*** Smiling Buddha Cabaret says "In popular culture the quote “Water Which is Too Pure Has No Fish” comes from the movie Bulletproof Monk with Chow Yun-Fat. But it originates from the Ts’ai Ken T’an (Vegetable Roots Discourses) compiled by Hong Zicheng during the time of the Ming Dynasty (1368 to 1644) in China. ... "Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. Water that is clear has no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime. You can’t just go along enjoying your own private purity and restraint. (Robert Aitken trans.)"
- Tier 1: It's probably best to first and foremost find out who has vested interest in the park. Head over there and find out what you can.
- Go to the Atlantic Island Park
- Examine the corpse
- Tier 2: Whoever is showing an interest in the park is serious enough to kill people over it. Follow the trail of corpses and be careful. There might be a bullet out there with your name on it.
- Look around for more corpses
- Continue down the road
- Defeat the ambushers
- Tier 3: Whatever command the ambushers were under, they were neither Templars, Illuminati or Dragon. Who else could have enough motivation to kill people to keep them out of the park, and why? Find out what the ambushers' plans are. Start by locating their hideout.
- Locate the ambusher's hideout
- Access the PC
- Tier 4: The ambushers have set up a number of surveillance cameras to monitor the park. These need to be disabled in case they transmit to a location off-island. Use the tracking device to locate each camera.
- Pick up the tracking device next to the PC
- Locate and destroy the first camera
- Locate and destroy the second camera
- Locate and destroy the third camera
- Tier 5: The tracking device reveals a fourth camera, perhaps a fallback in case the main ones were destroyed. Be careful, though. Your interference has probably not gone unnoticed.
- Locate and destroy the final camera
- Kill the squad leader
- 172,970 Experience total
- 21,620 per Tier for tiers 1 thru 4
- 86,490 for completion of tier 5
- 10,000 Pax Romana upon completion of tier 5
- 2 Sequin of Solomon Island upon completion of tier 5
- Predators QL4 Fist Weapon upon completion of tier 5
- NOTE: Was awarded Innsmouth Effigy on a different run
We are secret societies for a reason. Violence between us is typically concealed as much as possible. A poisoned Q-Tip. A fatal prescription. A hired hoodlum in the street. We dare anyone to prove it was us.
The Phoenicians keep to the shadows as well as anyone - operating out of New Carthage, a base of ships shrouded in mystery. Hiding is their strength.
Something about the park draws them into the open. It is an investment they are willing to pay a great price for. Uncharacteristically, willing even to die for.
Perhaps we should be investigating also.
I fucking hate purple.
Mercifully, we don't often deal with Phoenicians in the open. We outsource to them regularly, but contact is limited. Same deal when they're operating against us - it's all in and out, no note in the morning.
Usually when we break up one of their surveillance parties, they cut their losses and disappear. This kind of run-and-gun really isn't their style.
For them to storm out of the cracks, the amusement park must represent one hell of an investment opportunity. Let's hope hell isn't the operative word.
There is only one member of the secret world that would open fire on another member - in public! - without making the least effort to avoid a scene.
And only one that has the gall to wear purple.
One expects to come across a straggling Phoenician informant every now and then. But an aggressive militant outfit of this kind is spectacularly rare.
Nathaniel Winter saw something in the amusement park. He poured his fortune into it. Now the Phoenicians are willing to crawl out of the sewers and kill for it.
Assume the absolute worst.
There are 5 tiers to this mission.
- Go to the Atlantic Island Park (625, 605)
- Examine the corpse (leaning against tree near entrance)
- Look around for more corpses (stay on road, move to next waypoint)
- Continue down the road (stay on road to update waypoints)
- Defeat the ambushers (2 Ambusher, 1 Ambusher Lieutenant)
- Locate the ambusher's hideout (800, 510) (Old house)
- Find a way into the house (basement in back)
- Access the PC (Safehouse Solo Instance)
- Note: 3 traps (jump over laser 1st, go left around boxes avoid light for 2nd, jump over laser 3rd)
- Note: Access the PC (go through every screen, be sure to disable security last or else have to log to access PC)
- Note: Have to do 1) Surveillance Logs > 2) Camera Setup to get next tier
- Pick up the Tracking device next to the PC (auditory tracker) (next to PC)
- Locate and destroy the first camera (inside giant Teddy Bear) (675. 470) (Near midway games)
- Locate and destroy the second camera (at gate of Atlantic Island Park)
- Locate and destroy the third camera (inside giant Teddy Bear) (620, 390) (near roller coaster)
- Note: Open inventory, double-click Tracking device.
- Destroy the final camera (in park lot, outside park) (inside giant Teddy Bear) (530, 650)
- Kill the Squad Leader (he uses hand grenades)