Sept 10 Twitter Interview
- Ragnar Tørnquist: Okay, so here we go
chriscurrie: Are there forces in play beyond the three factions we've seen? Or do they mostly compete against each other?
- Ragnar: There are certainly other - darker, older - forces at play, and they are definitely going to be crucial to the story.
iktose: What are the tokens we got for ? ...what ? this is not a valid question ? but I'm sure many of us want to know this answer
- Ragnar: Can't tell you yet, but do hold onto them. Wait...which tokens? I don't know about any tokens.
Agrabush: Can factions group with each other on the surface? Or do all my friends have to join the same faction?
- Ragnar: We haven't announced anything yet - but the secret societies do stand united against evil.
henriksultan: Not a question about the game so i wont tag it with tswqa but where is that video they are talking about?? I wanna see it..
- Ragnar: It's on my computer.
philcsf: Yo, big fan. What's the predicted release date for The Secret World? Will the release be simultaneous, or delays for region/platform?
- Ragnar: No official release date yet, but I'm sure we'll launch simultaneously in Europe and North America.
albedo777: The articles touched on cabal pvp and cells to get anima. What about smaller cabals? Will it be difficult/impossible for us?'
- Ragnar: Not impossible but probably more difficult. If you're few but strong and well coordinated you can still put up a fight.
Samozwaniec: when we will see gameplay and ingame footages?
- Ragnar: I'd love to see it released some time this autumn, but that hasn't been decided yet.
Agrabush: What kind of non-combat content will there be? And we need more info on crafting!
- Ragnar: We'll talk about trade skills another time but it's going to be fun. Many missions won't be about killing things.
Mimezu: we know that society HQ will be social places, will there be other social spots in the game (nightclubs, etc ...) ?
- Ragnar: Yes.
darkSTandrew: how will the cabal houses work?
- Ragnar: As gathering places for your cabal! There's gameplay associated with them, but we're not revealing anything more now.
Templar_unknown: I wonder how entry to Agartha will take place? Wonder if any of the lore based "entry points" are real?
- Ragnar: There will be many, many roads into Agartha. Some old, some new, some known, some very, very secret.
Ogibogi: will there be cross faction grouping in PvE? Global or north america & EU servers?
- Ragnar: Like I said above (below?) we haven't announced anything yet, but the societies do stand united against evil.
samsbase: These cells that are taken in Agartha are they only takable by NPC factions or cabaals too ?
- Ragnar: Cabals.
julienlavoie: There's no levels. Will there be specific targets/goals to always give you something to look forward to?
- Ragnar: Absolutely, definitely, yes.
Pyroclasam: what range of weapons can we expect in game and how heavily will magic figure into it?
- Ragnar: A wide range, and heavily.
Pyroclasam: is there a particular ESRB eating that you're aiming for?
- Ragnar: Right now, the game is pretty mature. Zombie head go boom. And cussing too.
bunchie007: How will the characters in TSW deal with death?
- Ragnar: In a really interesting way. We will address it. Death means something in the real world.
M0nnes: Will melee combat be similar to WoW, like right click and wait for emotes, with the occational special move?
- Ragnar: Nope.
SA_Avenger: Crucial are there sherpas in game
- Ragnar: There can't NOT be sherpas in this game.
Syntheticwhite: All the stuff so far seems very combat focused. Any hints on what the ratio of Combat vs. Socal -play will be like?
- Ragnar: That depends on how you choose to play it.
Jest118: Re: Factions and Weapons. Will players be able to wield more than one type. i.e. Pistol for ranged, sword for Melee?
- Ragnar: Of course.
agill084: IGN and Massively are reporting contrary things about cross-faction PvE play, can you clarify? Is it still undecided?
- Ragnar: Not really undecided - more like unannounced.
iktose: Is there going to be a real gameplay difference between the 3 secret societies, i.e one got some improvements the others don't?
- Ragnar: Not in terms of balancing, but there will be content differences.
psyx0r: Is the console release prospect going to affect design decisions and lead to an oversimplified / limited interface ?
- Ragnar: The Xbox version will be different from the PC version, and the latter will be designed as a PC game first and foremost.
agill084: There's been a loss of consumer confidence in the Funcom brand. Any plans for the TSW launch to address this?
- Ragnar: Don't know about that, but we're just going to make the best damn game we know how and hope that people will play it.
astarti_alexia: is Anima crucial for battle and spells?
- Ragnar: As announced, anima will be important for - amongst other things - weapon upgrades and trade skills.
Chtuga: I feel the economy is extremely important, will it be player and tradeskill driven?
- Ragnar: We also feel the economy is extremely important, and we're doing something about it!
fujikanaeda: Can you release any details on the nature or existence of live events within TSW?
- Ragnar: I love events, but we can't say anything about that yet.
wryterra: Are cabal housing areas a part of the Society HQs or are they seperate entities?
- Ragnar: Separate.
fujikanaeda: Will we see puzzle elements within the game? If so, how is FC planning on combating the 'alakhazam' lookup effect?
- Ragnar: There will be puzzles. And there will always be ways to make the game easier - and less interesting.
ilistyn: For those of us that do not like PvP will there be other ways to get Anima? what about non pvp equipment, etc.
- Ragnar: Yes.
Sagebigly: Any chance of seeing the great old one in the game?
- Ragnar: There will be things that are both great and old and dark and deep and wet and slimy.
Azeltir: As a non-MMO player, what do you think TSW might do to sway me to it?
- Ragnar: The story, the setting, the action gameplay, the missions, the puzzles, the characters, the sights & sounds.
Soulstrider: Will there be any plot related details released soon?
- Ragnar: Who says there hasn't been?
mr_whisper: Can you give a general idea of the projected system specs? I'm building a new computer specifically for TSW?
- Ragnar: Not quite yet but we're aiming for laptops.
Makaruda: Any info you can give us on infiltrating enemy bases as mentioned in the IGN article?
- Ragnar: It's going to be fun and exciting.
greve_tsw: At what stage is the game at right now? Pre-Alpha? Alpha? Pre-Beta?
- Ragnar: Pre-Alpha.
AnnLemay: Hi! Looking forward to the game! Q: Will gameplay be predominantly PVE or PVP? Will solo gameplay be possible, or limit the exp.?
- Ragnar: Soloing will definitely be possible. The game will have plenty of PvE. This reveal was just mostly about PvP.
brinstar: On TSW forums players are associating Templars with Christianity. Will the devs distance the faction from religion?
- Ragnar: Templars aren't about Christianity. They're about Faith. Which is different. And also about kicking demon ass.
smugas: How cabals are important? Can we enjoy most parts of game without need to join to cabal?
- Ragnar: You can play without joining a cabal, but PvP will be a lot more fun if you're in one.
Zombacon: Will the secret society you join determine your ethnicity?
- Ragnar: No, absolutely not.
Aquilus: Also, will players will be able to wear monocles? That's a dealbreaker for me
- Ragnar: Definitely. Monocles are go.
KyleHorner: @brinstar had a good one here: Will the devs distance Templars from any specific religions?
- Ragnar: Yup, like I said, no secret society is tied to any religion. Everyone's invited.
squareking: Any chance TSW could be Mac-compatible? Also, I'm a big fan of what I've seen so far -- keep it up!
- Ragnar: No Mac version planned, but there's always Boot Camp and Windows 7. Works for me!
philcsf: Another quick Q - Will the PC and 360 versions be using the same server (cross-platform gameplay)? If it's still coming to 360.
- Ragnar: Nope, no cross-platform gameplay.
Fald0n: Will combat rather be 1st person or 3rd person? Or doesn't the "character view" matter at all?
- Ragnar: 3rd person.
eXes: How far will the hate between Illuminati and Templar go? Will they actually have conflicts in the story line or only in agartha?
- Ragnar: There will be conflicts in the story, too.
eXes: Several interviews are talking about expansion (addons) any details about that?
- Ragnar: There will be extensions and add-ons and expansions, but it's a bit too early to talk about that.
derFeef: Is the look of the character somehow defined by the faction or can I have an asian templar as well? (e.g)
- Ragnar: You can be anything and anyone you want.
Soulstrider: Will characters like "A friend" or Aveline Belmont have a significant presence in the game?
- Ragnar: You mean, will real crazy people who pretend to be involved in real conspiracies be in this fictional game?
GlennJPWilson: We begin in one of three citys,are we able to travel and visit the other two as we please? can we have our faction cabals in any city?
- Ragnar: Yes to the first one. Just don't go messing with anyone wearing a uniform.