The City Beneath Us
|The City Beneath Us|
|Region:||Valley of the Sun God|
|Start Location:||Hotel Wahid International|
|End location:||Al-Merayah Foundations|
|Recommended Level:||No Data|
|Requires:||A Time to Every Purpose|
|Added in:||Update 2.0|
You must work with Saïd to keep the cultists from delivery an ancient and unstable device akin to the one used in Tokyo. Said will use his contacts to keep them from the ports of Cairo, while you find a way to contain the device.
There are 2 tiers to this mission.
- Learn about local history and dig sites
- Find a way to access the foundations of al-Merayah
- There is a door at the base of the city, on the western side, marked on your map, at
- You'll enter Al-Merayah Foundation (Instance)
- Explore the excavation
- The quest will advance shortly after entering the rough-walled passage
- Move deeper into the excavation site
- You'll come to a tiled platform and get a cutscene overlooking another time tomb. Saïd will run up from behind you.
- Bring Saïd to the Time Tomb
- Does not fight and will refuse to move on until you have killed all the mobs in an area.
- Find and acquire the Ark
- Jump over the gap and go through the doorway to the northwest
- There will be a barrier wall holding back a filth-spider
- <Spoiler text="Clue 1">Look at the symbols behind the spider</spoiler>
- <Spoiler text="Solution">Use the sumbols outside the barrier in the same order as they are inside - 2 lines, funky "n", 3 lines</spoiler>
- Return to the Time Tomb
- You hand Saïd the Ancile that you recovered for him.
- Saïd: Oh, nice.
- Saïd: This is nice. It's a forgery, but it's a decent one.
- Saïd: Don't worry, one of you is bound to luck out.
- Saïd: While you were gone I confirmed the bad news:
- Saïd: They've gotten hold of a second Class-1 device, meaning a second Tokyo may be imminent.
- Saïd: Tokyo, now there's something I'd like to wipe off my resume.
- Saïd: I suppose the only way to do that is to keep it from happening again.
- Saïd: Now, you're familiar with how these destructive wonders work, yes?
- Saïd: You have these sources of Third Age power - remarkable things
- Saïd: - and then you have these equally remarkable arks that were designed to secure them.
- Saïd: It's that simple. Container, contained. They were meant for each other.
- Saïd: Well, apparently not everyone sees it that way.
- Saïd: They're preparing to move the device out of al-Merayah sans ark.
- Saïd: Oh, sure, I see the reasoning.
- Saïd: Why bother securing something incredibly unstable if you can twirl it around and risk all of Egypt.
- Saïd: They've got a ship waiting for them in Cairo.
- Saïd: I'll find out where they are and keep them there.
- Saïd: You poke around with the locals, see if you can dig up an ark.
- Saïd sits back down in his chair to relax and have a cup of tea
- Saïd: Oh what a team we make!
Zhara, Local History 1:
- Zhara: I love this town.
- Zhara: It may not look like much; it's not New York or Paris! But it has soul.
- Zhara: An old soul, stained and musty, but also robust and authentic.
- Zhara: I know, I know; it is just a small town in the middle of the desert,
- Zhara: far away from big cities and civilisation.
- Zhara: I know because this is why I come here in the first place.
- Zhara: I like being far away.
Zhara, Local History 2:
- Zhara: Since I arrived, I decided to learn all there is about Al-Merayah.
- Zhara: I have read books and documents, spoken with the elders, looked at records,
- Zhara: explored every building, every nook, every cranny.
- Zhara: Al-Merayah is older than you may think. Don't be fooled by appearances.
- Zhara: Below this town is an older town; below that again is an even older one.
- Zhara: And so on, back to the days of the pharaohs. We are standing on history itself.
Zhara, Local History 3:
- Zhara: And this town has many, many secrets.
- Zhara: Secrets that may be important to what is going on here now.
- Zhara: I like mysteries, but I also like being alive, and there are places I cannot go,
- Zhara: doors I cannot - should not - open.
- Zhara: I tell you because maybe you can change the course of history by learning from history, by stepping into history.
- Zhara: By learning to know the soul of Al-Merayah.
Tier 2, Phone Call
Phone call from Saïd
- Saïd: Rumor has it you've stumbled onto something. My capacity to inspire competence never ceases to amaze. I'll be there as soon as I can. In the meantime, try not to touch anything.
Tier 2, Saïd Appears
Saïd comes running up from behind you.
- Saïd: I assume you've escorted royalty before?
- Saïd: I can't even remember what I was once a prince of.
- Saïd: The details are hazy, but I distinctly remember pomp and pageantry.
- Saïd: And the Cult of Osiris.
- Saïd: And the girls of Abydos.
Tier 2, Arrival at Time Tomb
As you and Saïd approach the Time Tomb
- Saïd: Oh that's just marvelous.
- Saïd: Where have you been all my life?
- Saïd: Anka ka habi...
- Saïd: You know, there's something familiar about all this.
- Saïd: Brr. Nostalgia. Has a way of sneaking up on you.
- Saïd: You go on ahead, I'm going to get acquainted with our friend here.
- Upon completion, the mission The City Before Us is automatically started, unless on cooldown.
- While on Tier 2, you can pick up the "Atenist Excavation Notes" which provides Know Them by Their Works mission
- After bringing Saïd to the Time Tomb, you can jump down to the south-west side and get the It Didn't Have to Be Snakes achievement.
- Lore:The Breaks in Time Entry #5 can be found in the room with the Depth Lingerer after killing him
- Cult of Osiris - It was because of the legend of Osiris that Egyptians believed they had the right to be transformed and to live in the afterlife.
- Girls of Abydos - Abydos was one of the oldest cities of ancient Egypt, easily dating before 3,100 BC. The city was called Abdju in the ancient Egyptian language meaning "the hill of the symbol or reliquary", a reference to a reliquary in which the sacred head of Osiris was preserved.
- Anka ka habi - Could mean something along the lines of "spirit of the Nile", but it is uncertain what the proper translation should be
|Solomon Island Missions||▪ Kingsmouth ▪ Savage Coast ▪ Blue Mountain|
|Valley of the Sun God Missions||▪ Scorched Desert ▪ City of the Sun God|
|Transylvania Missions||▪ Besieged Farmlands ▪ Shadowy Forest ▪ Carpathian Fangs|
|Tokyo Missions||▪ Kaidan|
|Faction Missions||▪ Dragon ▪ Illuminati ▪ Templars|
|Other Missions||▪ Hub Cities ▪ Scenarios ▪ Seasonal ▪ Events|