Pandora's Box is the mission that is granted when running The Ankh the first time through. For subsequent runs, see Pandora's Box Revisited. For information specific to the Dungeon it takes place in, see The Ankh.
|Region:||Valley of the Sun God|
|Start Location:||The Ankh|
|Start Coords:||No Data|
|Given by:||Lisa Hui|
|Reward:||851,860 Experience Experience|
|Added in:||Update 1.0|
The Orochi contingent in the desert breached a shaft leading to an ancient subterranean temple. From the survivor's reports, the scientists that ventured inside encountered the Filth. Enter this Ankh and survey the situation.
- Lisa Hui: So you've seen the Ankh? Talk about opening Pandora's box.
- Lisa Hui: Okay, so as far as I know, it didn't start with our guys blowing a hole in the ground and going down into the dark.
- Lisa Hui: But I'm not saying it didn't make matters worse.
- Lisa Hui: I don't know exactly what happened,
- Lisa Hui: but the noise on the radio was...
- Lisa Hui: It wasn't pretty. And then they started bringing up the people who were infected.
- Lisa Hui: They were covered in black goo.
- Lisa Hui: We call that Filth now, I've learned.
- Lisa Hui: Don't know why.
- Lisa Hui: They should really call it the Crazy, since it makes people go fucking batshit insane.
- Lisa Hui: The infection spread so quickly, it's a miracle we made it out, any of us.
- Lisa Hui: We neutralized as many as we could, to make sure the disease wouldn't spread.
- Lisa Hui: But I don't know what happened to the ones who were still down there, in the dark.
- Lisa Hui: The ones who didn't get out.
- Lisa Hui: And I have no idea what happened in that subterranean temple in the first place.
- Lisa Hui: What horrors they unearthed.
- Lisa Hui: You know, someone should really look into that.
- Tier 1: Use the lift to descend to the Orochi research station
- 851,860 Experience total, at report
- 8,330 Pax Romana, at report
- 2 Sequins of the Valley of the Sun God, at report
- Select one of the following QL8 talisman:
We are pleased. Death to the scientists, death to the mystics. Generations apart, they both sought life beyond life in this squalid cavern.
They convinced themselves that a toxin would let themselves touch divinity, or evolution. It is the falsehood of all addicts, rendered more insidious by the Filth. Other sickened societies wilt, stupefied on their own medications. They die off, or present their lazy necks to us for the pruning.
But the Filth lives on beyond life. Beyond time. Dreaming of eating all change beyond it's own. You denied it, and none will mourn these shabby priests or fool researchers.
Okay, so you found a lake of cancer, killed a giant mummy, but here's what's kicking my ass; why is Orochi being all about the Filth?
I read up, and this stuff - it isn't like hitting oil. There have been global dry spells for tens or hundreds of years. Until now. Now, there's practically a drill for it: tentacles out the eye sockets, cannibalism, quote unquote uncontrolled chemical fire, concrete over and sponsor a new parking lot.
Whether they want to weaponize it, vaccinate against it or both, Orochi is ahead of us. I don't like it.
Good job killing the giant mummy, though.
I would lament the loss of a scientific mind, but we should presume Doctor Klein's was gone long before you dispatched him. It was their mistake to open this sinkhole again, a mistake you have rectified with flying colours.
We quizzed our, if you will, historical sources, and they maintain that the Filth's ebb and tide is completely unpredictable. Nor can it be dowsed for, not unless one is already infected.
Therefore, the Orochi Group's preoccupation with the substance may be an ugly coincidence. Twice now they have proven fatally ill-equipped to contain its barbarities. Yet still they study. Concerning.
There is 1 tier to this mission.
Use the lift to descend to the Orochi research station
- This mission is required for the Subsidiary achievement
- This mission is required for the The Eight-Headed Serpent achievement